Sunday, August 25, 2024

Sunday Reflection: Taste and see


Today's reflection is brought to you by
Psalm 34.

I bless you, 
Creator, 
at all times,
thanking you under my breath
whenever I notice your goodness.

You are the only reason
I should boast --
your love for all your creation
and for me
is a humbling thing.

I love to sing your praises
with the voice you have given me.

Whenever I seek your help
in times of stress,
whenever I am afraid
and put my fears in your hands,
you deliver me from anxiety
and fill me with peace.

All who call on you 
and wait patiently for your presence
will not be disappointed
for you are with us.

I have cried out to you in my times of trouble
and slowly but surely
(and sometimes instantly!)
you have delivered me.

I taste and see your goodness, 
O God.

Your eyes are on those who love you
and your ears hear their cries.

You allow those who abandon your ways
to reap as they sow
until they return to you as prodigal children.

You are near to the brokenhearted
and save the crushed in spirit.

We don't need to ask you to save us, 
because you already have.

So instead, 
I ask that you help us all
-- especially those with the power
to make the world a better place --
to walk more closely in love with you
and all that you have made.

+Amen.

***

This morning I had a conversation with Rick, a regular in our Community of Emmanuel who lives in the Hope Mission Shelter a few blocks away. When I commented that he seemed sad, he said, "Yeah, I guess I am. It's just that winter is coming, and winter is hard on us who have no place to live."

In the next weeks, we are planning ways to let the people in power know that leaving people to live in unsanitary shelters by night and on our frozen streets by day is not a viable option. I'll try to remember to post opportunities to help raise awareness here in these moodlings.


No comments: