Thursday, October 7, 2021

Watching the birds bathe, and other stories

 It's been a busy end of summer and early autumn. You can tell by these two pictures that we've been working hard to put the garden to bed...

September 14th

October 7th


What you don't see is the missing flagpole. It was right in the middle of our onion patch, and had to be removed so our neighbour's power lines could reach his renovated home next door to us. Lee worked extremely hard to move mounds of soil because its base was encased in concrete that went down six feet. Then he had to take a sledge hammer to break up the concrete, and we managed to give the pole away on Kijiji a few days later.



All that's left in our garden now are the pepper plants in the covered box, a few carrots and beets that can wait until after frost, and the garlic that I planted this afternoon. I'll leave the borage and other flowering plants until they no longer provide food for the bees that are still buzzing around, then compost them, too.

The real reason for this post is to share a little video. While I was planting garlic this afternoon, there was quite a commotion behind me in our garden birdbath, and I realized that I was being splashed by a noisy group of sparrows who hadn't noticed me. 

Of course, when I turned around, they all took off, and the next thing I knew they were bathing in our little fountain instead. Our greenhouse/shed window faces it, so I went into the shed, waited for a few minutes, and took the little video below with my daughter in mind. She loves the birds in our yard, but doesn't see them as often since she left home last spring. 

So Suzanna, this one's for you... and, of course, for the rest of my handful of readers. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!


2 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you, Maria, for sharing the video. The sparrows in your yard have a much nicer 'bath' than those in my yard. I can only offer a no-longer-used cat food dish that I didn't want to throw away and decided to use to provide drinking water for the birds. However, they decided that it would also serve as a bath so I just let them be. They are so fun to watch and it is a simple act on my part that connects me to them. We are all connected and have a role to play in the lives of all beings... L

Maria K. said...

Birds are happy to bathe wherever we give them the opportunity... cat dishes notwithstanding (though the cat might not approve, hee hee!) Yes, the connectedness we can have with other creatures sometimes takes my breath away! If only all humans recognized our interconnectedness with them... Thanks, Linda.