Sunday, October 10, 2021

Sunday Reflection: Thanksgiving pants

You know,
O God,
how I've been struggling
to believe
that you are there
and care for every individual, 
for every so-called sparrow 
that falls.

Are you just
a story we tell ourselves
to feel better
in the face of hard realities?

I have been feeling that way
a lot lately
because of many things.

And then
a young woman is found 
shivering under a blanket,
naked,
on our back step of
the Community of Emmanuel,
the community where you-are-with-us
this Thanksgiving morning,

Our pastor asks me 
to be present with her 
on the very day
that I have finally brought along
a pair of pants
that was too long for me
but hemmed too short,
pants
that were forgotten 
in the back corner of my dresser drawer
for at least two years.

Which, 
of course,
fit her perfectly.

Random occurrence
or God-incidence?

I'm told
that belief in you 
is in my DNA,
but lately,
it's been a challenge
to believe it.

Thank you
for today's more tangible reminders,
and the little nudge of the Spirit
that made me turn back 
(though I was running late)
for those perfectly fitted pants for her
even before anyone knew she was there.

Thank you for life, 
its struggles and challenges
and these serendipities
that seem to say
you are there
in spite of my doubts.

+Amen.

2 comments:

Linda said...

You with the pants,
Me, with a bag of things for the Bissell
that had not yet been dropped off
the week prior.
Yesterday,
two blankets found purpose
in wrapping around a man
who crawled out from under his tent
and came to the back door,
shivering.
And a 'like new' puffy jacket
that I thought might fit Annie
and it did... it fit perfectly!
Attentiveness to the lure from the future
the prompting from Great Mystery
to be engaged and present
in the care of each and all.

Linda

Debbie said...

Maria, I say it is providence.
In doing God's will we often are surprised looking back on our actions.
I see here as, in silence God speaks to two of his servants for his will to be done to serve this woman's needs. Both servants were opened and receptive to God and heard him speak in their being to do:
- Maria, prepare the pants
- Priest, tell Maria to help the woman
- Maria, go back home and get the pants and clothe the woman.
Of course the pants would be a perfect fit.
What a beautiful sharing Maria! I love the story.

Our Father ... your Kingdom come, your will be done... and it was indeed by you Maria. You are a conduit of God's love Maria!

What wonderous ways does God remind us that here I am ...
in you, with you and, through you always for all of your days.
"Hear I am Lord", https://youtu.be/gZK-5v9gMTI

Debbie, October 12, 2021