Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Winding down -- the September garden update

Autumn is coming, and the garden is definitely starting to feel the shorter days and the decreasing intensity of the sun. Mornings and evenings are cool, and I can't get over how far the sun has shifted to the south. Garden production is slowing, harvest is ongoing, and kitchen activity to save all those veggies is ramping up.

So I thought I'd moodle a few pics of the yard before I start emptying the beds just to show you what's still going on.


Dad's marigolds and borage are still providing some colour...


The Columbus wheat is ripening...


This crazy spaghetti squash has produced 9 big ones...


while the 2000-year-old squash is taking over both sides of the fence...


and we've had 4 humungous gourds from it!


The pumpkin plant is trying to take over the composter...


and it's still fruiting and flowering...


Tomatoes have been pretty prolific...


And Ralph's Romas didn't disappoint either. 
Two jars of spaghetti sauce right here, once they ripen!


The carrots, which were so sparse in the spring, seem to be filling out...


and here's my last red pepper.


Our Russian Giant sunflowers reached at least nine feet...


and these peony poppies just won't quit...

It's been a pretty good garden summer, all in all. Potatoes, beans, and onions didn't do much, but the rest exceeded expectations, and I have processing to carry me to the end of the month, I'm sure, as I'll soon have to pick pears and bring everything in. It's all good, thanks be to God!

No comments: