Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Love and fear

Lately, listening to all the Canadian electoral rhetoric, the response of different countries to the refugee crisis, and negative opinions voiced on various talk shows has left me with the title of this moodling stuck in my head. I knew that I had read a fantastic quotation about love and fear somewhere, but when I googled "Love and fear" nothing like what I had in mind came up. The closest thing was a Ghandi quotation, "The enemy is fear. We think it is hate, but it is fear." A good one, but not the one I wanted.

This morning, it dawned on me where to find my 'quotation,' which is much more than a quotation. It's in my favourite little book that has a permanent home on my desk, called A Common Prayer by Australian humourist and cartoon artist Michael Leunig (Dove, Harper Collins 1990, ISBN 0 85924 933 6). Mr. Leunig's little reflection is just too good to keep to myself, so I share it and its original artwork here, hoping he will forgive me, and praying that the world will wake up and choose love instead of fear.


No comments: