Saturday, July 4, 2015

July garden report


Time for a garden report. Sorry to put you through this, my friends, but it's my best way to keep track of how things grow from year to year. It's interesting to look back on garden moodlings from the last few years just to see how our gardens have changed. If you're curious, click on gardening under the Top Ten Topics to the right.

This year, I'm loving my raised bed boxes, as they make weeding, watering, and picking so much easier. I don't worry as much as I should about what grows between the boxes (it's probably time to hoe again), I only water where water is needed instead of sprinkling the entire garden and encouraging the weeds as well as the plants. and I don't have to bend quite as far, or sit on my haunches so much. You could say I'm loving this style of gardening, though a skeptical neighbour was overheard saying, "What's wrong with old-fashioned rows?"

Anyway, here's how the garden grows these days...


It's time to plant more lettuce...


Carrots are still patchy because it's been so dry...


Cucumbers are doing alright (I water every day)...


Something is eating the potato plants...


The onions are holding their own, but don't like it so dry either...


The peppers and tomatoes are happy with the heat...


My goal to always have something blooming out front is working out so far...


All in all, things are pretty good. I'm freezing strawberries 
and looking forward to raspberries, too.

God gives the growth, and I do the grunt work.
Stay tuned... the 2000-year-old squash may yet take over the yard!


No comments: