Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Exchanging dandelions for clover


This year's tulips
Some years ago, I was told that dandelions are essential plants that help pollinators survive early in the spring, and that it was better to leave them for the many varieties of bees that come out of hibernation looking for food. 

And so, I've written many moodlings about learning to like dandelions for the bees' sake. I happily ignored the dandelions on my grassy boulevard as it seemed a losing battle anyway (though I still dig them out of my perennial beds). I live across the street from a small area park that turns yellow every spring, and blows seed into my yard.

But this year, the Edmonton Horticultural Society webpage was abuzz with the news that dandelion pollen offers very little nutrition to bees, who much prefer the early violas and flowering trees and shrubs that I have in abundance in my yard. The EHS experts explained that, contrary to earlier knowledge, dandelions offer nothing of value when it comes to breaking up compacted soil or adding nutrients, either.

So, dear readers, you can ignore all my previous dandelion moodlings (though I still like the cheerfulness of those bright yellow flowers) because, well, I was wrong on many counts (as were many other people). It's good to admit my mistakes!

When I mentioned my mistake and my decision to reduce my dandelion crop to my neighbour, Wendy, she offered me a bag of white clover seed that I was delighted to receive. So for the past week or so, I've been digging dandelions and planting clover in the space they occupied. The effort has been wreaking havoc with my carpal tunnel, but it's very satisfying to pull up those long roots and imagine bees enjoying clover flowers instead. 

While I was digging today, I met a passerby who said that she had planted clover last summer, and it was doing well. It's often softer and greener than grass, and I remember our little dog loving to roll in it!

And... There's nothing like honey that comes from fields of clover! Besides, if I really want more dandelion jelly, I can always visit the park across the street...

No comments: