Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Breathe in us, Holy Spirit

Because I'm in the thick of garden work these days, I didn't get to my computer yesterday to post something for Monday Music Appreciation. I also missed marking the Feast of Pentecost on Sunday, which is my favourite Christian celebration of the year. So you could call today's moodling a Pentecost music appreciation.

Over the years, my relationship with God has undergone different phases. As a child who loved her dad deeply (still do), I had no problem appreciating God as Father. In my teen years, I spent a lot of time with a youth group connected to a retreat movement for youth known as Christ our Light, and while there, I really fell in love with Jesus. 

But as an adult entering into my senior years (I enter my 60th year on Thursday) and connecting more and more with Indigenous spirituality, my prayer now leans toward Creator, the creative and Holy Spirit who enlivens everything in the cosmos. And in the face of all the war in our world, of divisive politics, of the lack of understanding and empathy for those living in poverty or with addictions, of the unforgiveness that exists in society and even within families these days, all I can say is

Breathe in us, Holy Spirit.

When I first heard this music in October of 2016, I was sitting on the floor in the Church of Reconciliation in Taizé, France, and I experienced a major case of goosebumps. Being with several hundred young people in a spirit of deep prayer, it was easy to believe that the Spirit was breathing in us. 

Since then, sometimes, when I'm feeling overwhelmed and hopeless, I return to this song and beg the Spirit to help us to help our world to find the common ground that will bring us into compassion for -- and communion with -- all those who are offered judgment instead of love.

Breathe in us, Holy Spirit.

The cadence of the chant is like gentle breathing, and the many languages evoke the Spirit of Pentecost's multilingual celebration. On Sunday evening, our Taizé group prayed this prayer. As Pentecost lasts for 50 days, I invite you to pray it with me here whenever you like. 

Breathe in us, Holy Spirit.

No comments: