Friday, June 2, 2023

Sidewalk stories

In April I discovered 
a box of unused sidewalk chalk in a cupboard, 
and decided it needed to be used. 

So I put some pieces 
into a pretty chocolate tin marked CHALK, 
and went out to encourage people to draw on my sidewalk.


The first artist 
to participate
drew her own flower, 
wrote that she liked my garden,
and signed her work
Julianne.

Someone else
(a good neighbour, I think)
wrote "Hello Friends!"
in beautiful flowing cursive.

I didn't see all this happen,
and it rained before I took a picture.


A few days later,
a couple stopped
and left me 
a shamrock
and a smiling cat.

Last week,
I caught my first glimpse 
of Julianne when she and three friends
drew moon cakes and happy faces.

Again, 
Julianne signed her work.

I like that she does that.

Of course,
rain washed everything away.

On Tuesday I went out
and chalked
CHALK 
with an arrow pointing to the box
like I always do.

Then I thanked
Julianne and friends
for their efforts.

I happened to be sitting in our front room
with my windows open
when Julianne and a friend came by 
and she read my message.

"Thanks for the art,
JuliANNE AND FRIENDS!" 
she squealed with delight.

They left more art for me.


I'll be sad when school ends
and Julianne 
doesn't walk past 
as often.

But there might be
a few more
willing participants,
like the couple last night
who gave me 
this garden scene
and high-fived as they walked on.


Thanks, 
neighbours,
for sharing your art
with me!

No comments: