Thursday, June 1, 2023

Garden goings-on

Hardworking family on May 22nd
For the record, my family is really wonderful. After I broke the bone in my foot on May 10th, they came to help me put in my garden 12 days later. 

I sat in a chair with my boot up, giving instructions and marking boxes with a checkmark when they were planted. I loved watching my dad and Lee plant the tomatoes, Mom and Jeanine working on carrots and snow peas, Lynnell poking the fava beans into the earth exactly as I would have done, and Suzanna whipping the herb bed into shape.

It probably would have taken me until today to do what they did in two hours. My "air boot" isn't exactly easy to maneuver in certain places in our yard, and it was a lot worse with crutches (I got permission to ditch them on May 26th). The challenge now is to not overdo weeding efforts and give my foot enough rest and healing time.

We've been having good heat, and lately, some wonderful rain, and things are popping out of the ground at an amazing rate. This video I took yesterday doesn't show nearly as much growth as if I had made it today, but it's raining, and I'm sitting with my achy foot up, happy to watch the moisture come down.

So this is my May 31st, 2023 garden report, one day later. Slightly wonky as I limp around in my boot! Thanks to my parents, sisters, and live-in family members for planting it all. Thanks be to God for the rain, and the green and growing things!

P.S. Momma sparrow's babies are in the birdhouse, not the greenhouse!

No comments: