Monday, January 23, 2023

Monday music appreciation #1

Since Appreciation is my word of the year, I've decided to note things I appreciate here in my moodlings. And since music is one of the things in my life that really touches me (as if you haven't guessed that from just this past week's moodlings alone), I'm going with music appreciation Mondays, at least when I remember to or have the time.

There are a number of pieces of music vying for this Monday music appreciation spot at the moment, but I think I have to start with a classic, Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet. It was part of an Edmonton Symphony Orchestra concert shift I worked at on Friday night, and the guest conductor, Yaniv Dinur (who was quite funny), made introductory comments that helped me to understand the music better. 

(Note: many symphony orchestras have struggled with whether or not to play Tchaikovsky's music given the genocide Russia is perpetrating in Ukraine right now, but there is evidence to suggest that Tchaikovsky himself was a victim of the Russian Regime of his time. For this reason, the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra has chosen to continue to play his music.)

Our conductor told us that Romeo and Juliet begins with a hymn-like theme to remind us of Shakespeare's Friar Lawrence (the go between for Romeo and Juliet), and moves to the clash (hear the swordplay?) between the Montagu and Capulet families. Then we hear one of the most famous romantic themes in classical music, followed by reminders of further clashes and a bit of funeral march before the romantic music returns, with a sadder ending, of course.

If you're buzzing about this week as I am, with many things to do, perhaps you might like to let this play in the background -- or, if you have time, plug in some headphones and let it flow through you, as symphony concerts are meant to do. (I like this BBC video for its movement between different London Symphony Orchestra musicians, and the obvious workout being put in by them and Maestro Valery Gergiev. For me it's worth watching, as I'm always fascinated by how orchestra members work together to create beauty, from tiny piccolos to tubas to tympani drums -- if only everyone in the world worked this way!) 

Either way you might choose to listen, enjoy!

No comments: