Sunday, October 16, 2022

God is ecumenical

Here's a definition of ecumenical, according to Merriam-Webster:

ec·​u·​men·​i·​cal | \ ˌe-kyə-ˈme-ni-kəl  -kyü- \

Definition of ecumenical

1aof, relating to, or representing the whole of a body of churches
bpromoting or tending toward worldwide Christian unity or cooperation
2worldwide or general in extent, influence, or application

Of course, if we're talking about God, who isn't just focused on Christians, definition #2 is the better choice. God is all of those #2 things!

As a cradle Catholic, I absorbed the somewhat divisive mindset that we Catholics had a direct line to God -- well, more direct than anybody else because of Jesus and all that apostolic tradition, or so we liked to think. Of course, it took a while for me to understand that all sorts of other spiritual traditions were around for millennia before Jesus, and that they also held the beauty, goodness, and truth that is God's. Faith in God is "worldwide or general in extent, influence or application," indeed.

Fortunately, I had lots of little ecumenical experiences as I grew up -- starting with having friends who weren't Catholic -- or even Christian. Each of those experiences taught me more about other versions of God's goodness, truth, and beauty, broadening my understanding. I was also fortunate to be surrounded by adults who, for the most part, weren't black and white thinkers, and didn't discourage me from learning about the faith of others, or sharing my faith with them. 

The only big problem was that my friends weren't allowed to partake fully in the meal of thanksgiving shared in my church because they hadn't converted to Catholicism. For me, this has always made very little sense, because God knows our hearts and works in each of us in different ways -- why should we all have to believe exactly the same way before sharing a eucharistic meal? At my present Sunday community, the Community of Emmanuel in the inner city, no one is turned away, and the embrace of God is real. I often walk into God's embrace with tears trickling down my cheeks. No one should ever be excluded!

When a friend invited me to help her lead Taizé prayer in Edmonton some 30 years ago, I found an ecumenical home that seemed to fit. And when I walked into the Church of Reconciliation in the Community of Taizé in June of 2014, I found myself on my knees, in tears of joy because the holiness/wholeness of the place was tangible. Even the Syrian Muslim refugees staying with the Brothers at the time prayed with us and ate of the beautiful, fresh, delicious bread of morning eucharist. I wallowed in the Spirit of ecumenism in a church that was home for everyone regardless of their belief, found deep communion in a bible study with a group of strangers whose beliefs were somewhat different than mine, and came away more ecumenical than capital C Catholic, I'm afraid.

Since then, participation in Taizé prayer has become even more meaningful to me. When Covid shut the world and our churches down in March 2020, the Community of Taizé held a prayer broadcast every night via their Facebook Page or Youtube channel, and the online community attended by the tens of thousands (me included, 83 days running). The community continues to broadcast prayer daily and weekly, a blessing for those who want to pray in that beautiful place but can't visit in person.

Faith is faith, and God loves it in all of us. If you are ecumenically inclined and live in the Edmonton area, I invite you to come and pray one Sunday evening per month with our local Taizé community (see poster below). All are welcome. Bring friends!



No comments: