Monday, October 10, 2022

Giving thanks

Yesterday at Community of Emmanuel, during our Sunday Thanksgiving service, I was suddenly struck by the strongest sense of gratitude for the community's presence in my life. 

For the blessing of a sage smudge to start the service.

For Jake, who shares small snippets from his life -- this week, his frustration at having to buy a construction safety hat for a job that only lasted a day and only paid three hours.

For Mary-Joy, whose well-worn bible is a constant presence -- and reference.

For Bruce, who brings coffee to Lydia, one of our 90+ year old matriarchs, when he gets his own tea.

For Sister Florence, whose gentle, listening presence and smile is a calming influence for our community.

For Henry, who sometimes falls asleep on the counter where he sits.

For Annie, coffee-maker extraordinaire, who knows everyone and watches out for us all.

For Mary-Lou, who has more go than the energizer bunny when it comes to serving coffee.

For Farley, his philosophical wisdom and soothing music.

For Michelle, whose Standing Stones services and sharing of Indigenous wisdom always have me nodding my head in affirmation of teachings older than Christianity.

For Jim, who keeps an eye on the front door in case of latecomers or people in need.

For Quinn and his un-wordy liturgies that collect all our prayers simply and beautifully.

For simple communion, offered to all, no questions asked.

For volunteers who help us pass out the second communion of coffee and lunch bags after the service.

In looking around and appreciating all these folks, I got choked up and lost my voice for the last couple of lines to the hymn that closed the service:

I will go Lord, if you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart.

There is so much to be thankful for in my life -- my parents, sisters, husband, kids, friends, my dream job at the Winspear Centre for music (Friday night's performance was incredible!), our garden, our home, good health, the list goes on.

But in struggling with the church of my childhood and its exclusivity over the last few years, I was deeply moved by the people of the Community of Emmanuel at the end of Sunday's service, and deeply grateful for how Creator led me to this place that has welcomed me so deeply. 

Thank you, God, for everything.

+Amen

P.S. What are you grateful for today?

No comments: