Thursday, September 1, 2022

Squash blossom special

Ricotta-stuffed blossoms
My garden is producing lots of squash and pumpkin blossoms in these summer days, so a couple of weeks ago, I decided it was time to try some for supper.

My dear friend Lidia, God rest her, taught me about squash blossoms one summer morning before covid. She asked me to go out to her garden and collect the blossoms for her. 

When I brought them in, she proceeded to remove the anthers (the yellow pollen-covered stem-like piece inside) and the calyxes (the green spiky bits on the outside bottom near the centre of each petal). 

Unfortunately, I had to disappoint her by leaving before she could serve me some for lunch, so she explained that she was going to put a spoonful of ricotta cheese inside, press it flat, dip the whole thing in beaten egg, dust it in flour, and fry it in butter with a bit of salt and pepper.

It took me three years, but now I've done it several times, and wow, the results are delicious! Who knew those flowers could have such a nice flavour?! 

Chalk it up as another simple little blessing that came from knowing my neighbour Lidia.

No comments: