Tuesday, August 30, 2022

If God can move mountains, God can handle rocks

Lately you'll find me downtown on Tuesday mornings, hanging out with pastor Quinn from Inner City Pastoral Ministry, handing out toiletries, snacks, water and other necessities to the homeless folks who live in tents and under tarps near the Bissell Centre. 

This morning I was swamped with folks looking for all of the above even before Quinn managed to set our "storefront table" on the sidewalk. It's another heat-warning day, and people were already thirsty, and hungry for granola bars, fruit snacks, and conversation. Stuff disappears in a hurry, and in no time we're left with nothing but bottled water and the few people who stick around to chat.

There's always someone with a story or two to share. Today I finally had time to introduce myself to the guy who jokingly asks if I can lace his tea with vodka every Sunday morning. I've known for months that R. likes his tea with one cream and very little sugar, but only learned his name this morning because he doesn't attend Sunday service, where there's usually more time to chat. R. can be a bit gruff, but his heart seems to be in the right place. Today he was complaining that the Alberta government's recent "rebates for all Albertans" don't reach inner city folks at all. I had to agree.

Two women settled on the edge of the sidewalk, one sitting on her walker, telling stories about her past misdeeds, and the other sitting on the curb, applying her makeup, returning like for like. I was only half-listening to their chatter, talking with R., when the one with the walker told the other, "It's been pretty hard lately, like I'm carrying a load of rocks. But if God can move mountains, he can handle rocks."

Wisdom! I told her that those were some beautiful words, and that I would write them down when I got home. And now I have.

When life feels really rocky, it's hard to remember that the rocks aren't my sole property. That's when I need to be reminded that the Source of All Life is holding me and everything else in existence at this moment. Even at the times when life is hard and I want to question whether God even exists, it's impossible for me to imagine that this incredible world -- never mind this astounding universe -- came about by chance. There is a Holy and Creative Spirit that is the spark of life in the ladybug, lights up the stars, spills water into the rivers and seas, upholds the mountains, is in the first breath of the newborn and the last breath of the dying, gives substance to rocks, and keeps everything from flying apart. 

God's Spirit can move mountains, and all the rocks that weigh us down. It may take some time, and it won't be the way we expect, but it happens. And it all belongs to God.

Deep gratitude to the woman with the walker for today's reminder.


P.S. If you're interested in helping us to move a few rocks with our inner city folks, please consider visiting this link: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/id/5750

Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Powerful stories Maria. Thank you for recording these moments in such a graceful way!