Thursday, September 29, 2022

Jake's gift

One Sunday morning in March at the community of Emmanuel, Jake flashed a big smile at me from across the room. This was before I even knew his name. So I walked over and introduced myself, and he smiled that big smile again and said, "My name is Jake, and I need someone to pay attention to me."

I laughed and said, "I'm all ears." Jake proceeded to tell me that he was spending a lot of time in the Maker Space at our downtown library, learning about digital printing. He said he had been spending hours and hours working on a small replica of a farm windmill, and he was quite fascinated with the process of using computer code to generate it. I told him that was really a cool thing to learn.

Two weeks later, he brought the windmill to show me. It was printed in an off-white plastic medium, and I told Jake that I was impressed, as my own knowledge of computers is fairly limited.

A few weeks later, I was chatting with the regulars at his usual table, and Jake said, "I'd like to make you something. How about a little planter?" I was delighted, and told Jake that would be really something, as no one has ever made me anything with a digital printer.

Three Sundays later, Jake approached me and said, almost sheepishly, "I finished your present. Unfortunately, the Library won't give it to me unless I pay them nine dollars and ninety cents for the materials." As luck would have it, I had slipped a ten dollar bill into my back pocket that morning for another reason, but I pulled it out and handed it to Jake. "I can't wait to see it," I said. "I bet it's awesome."

And it is... the next Sunday, Jake brought me a little planter pictured above with the receipt for $9.90 from the downtown branch of the Edmonton public library. I fussed over how cute and Escher-esque it is, and he said, "And see here? this little trough on the side lets excess water run out if you overwater your plants." He was delighted to give it to me, and I was every bit as delighted to receive it.

When I got home, I puzzled over what to plant in it, and remembered some microgreen seeds in my kitchen cupboard. I planted them, and the next Sunday, I took the planter back to show Jake that it works. We set it on the altar so everyone could see the results of Jake's creativity, and he was quite proud in his humble way.

Last night for supper, I made a lovely deli-style sandwich with some yummy little microgreens on top.

Thanks, Jake!

No comments: