Sunday, April 10, 2022

Sunday Reflection: The Good Thief?

Today's reflection is brought to you by 
Thanks to Philip K for sharing
this image on Flickr

Luke 23: 32-33, 39-43.

The three of us walked 
the same path
to the top of 
the hill.

We were subjected 
to the same punishment
and felt the same pain.

Or did we?

Two of us
deserved it
according to the
colonizers' law.

But you.

While we were engaged
in cutthroat pursuits,
you were helping
and healing
and talking about
--and showing--
how to love.

You.

In agony,
like we were,
for no reason
that I could see.

My partner-in-crime
muttered and scoffed
at the would-be-Messiah
hanging between us.

I am sure 
you heard him too
and finally, 
I could bear it no longer.

We have been condemned justly,
for we are getting what we deserve for our deeds,
but this man has done nothing wrong.

Jesus,
remember me 
when you come into your kingdom.

I could not 
see your face,
nor you, 
mine.

I knew of your deeds
from the stories 
people told.

What did you know of me?

Did you know 
the atrocities
I committed?

You made
no comment,
asked no question,
nor insisted on confession.

Just

Truly, 
I tell you,
today you will be with me in Paradise.

Millennia pass
and I become known as
the Good Thief.

But that's not 
it 
at all.

You welcomed 
me
as you welcome
everyone.

No matter what.

You offered love to 
me
as you offer it to 
all.

We may not be 
all that we could be,
we may not even be 
good,
but you love us 
into Paradise.

Period.

Thank you 
for your grace,
which makes up
for all we lack
and loves us 
home.

+Amen.


No comments: