Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Embracing the Risen One

Pixabay image
Today's reflection is brought to you by 
John 20: 11-18.

I sought the one I loved,
my best friend,
but you were gone.

The strangers asked why I was weeping.

Isn't that what usually happens in the place of tombs?

They wouldn't (couldn't?) 
tell me where to find you,
so though it was difficult to see through my tears,
I began my search
by asking the gardener.

But it was your voice that said my name!

In an instant, I wrapped my arms around you
and felt your arms around me.

And we laughed and laughed
with sheer delight and surprise
-- and complete joy.

* * * * * * *

On Sunday morning at the Community of Emmanuel, Quinn invited me to proclaim the Easter story from the 20th chapter of the Gospel of John. It's another of my favourites, where Mary Magdalen can't see through her tears one minute, and the next, she leaps forward and wraps both arms around a laughing and risen Jesus. At least, that's how I picture it -- the ultimate happy ending!

Pastor Quinn gave a beautiful sermon about how we can be on our knees with sorrow and struggle and not see Christ with us because of the tears in our eyes and the pain in our hearts. I'm sure he said many other beautiful things as well, but I was distracted by a young woman who was dancing, just a few feet away from me, to music only she could hear. 

She flitted closer and closer until she was right beside me. Then she sidled up against me and rested her head on my shoulder, whispering something I couldn't quite hear. I rested my head against hers, and thought about putting my arm around her, but I didn't want to scare her away. We stood with our heads together for a few moments, and then she flitted away again.

I'm not sure what that was about for her, and I'll never know. What I do know is that, after reading about the way Mary encountered the Risen One, I felt like I had done the same, somehow. It was, for me, a moment of grace not unlike that of having a butterfly land on my shoulder. It wasn't quite like wrapping my arms around Jesus, but it moved me deeply.

I can't stop thinking about that young woman. My prayers are with her this week, that wherever she is, she can be safe, and cared for in the ways she most needs.

I also pray that this Easter Season brings you many opportunities to be embraced by the Risen One -- however he appears in your life!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Maria,

Happy Easter to you too!

Thanks for this reflection and the story. I too love the Mary Magdalen passage of Easter morning. And I agree we do have glimpses of the Risen One in the "chance encounters" a s friend of mine calls these meetings...

Love and great peace for all fifty days of Easter!

Auntie R.

Maria K. said...

Thanks, Auntie R! Easter hugs for you!
Love,
Maria