Sunday, August 22, 2021

Sunday Reflection: Blessings in a time of crises

The Christ Candle this morning,
imperfect but shining brightly
This morning, the pastor of the Community of Emmanuel at the Inner City Pastoral Ministry gave a wonderful reflection on a section of the sixth chapter of Ephesians that has always had too much military metaphor for my liking. It's a piece of the bible that is often headed with a phrase like "The Armor of God." Sorry, but the God I know is anything but military. Our Creator is a lover, not a fighter!

So I really appreciated Pastor Quinn's little story today about having sock-ball fights with his brothers when he was small (think snow balls, but all the socks in the house balled up instead). Being the youngest and at a distinct disadvantage, Quinn would find himself curled into a little ball and being pummelled with socks by his big brothers to the point that he was unwilling to rise and grab socks to fire back. He made himself small until his brothers gave up.

And isn't that how we feel when we are surrounded with bad news and negativity? Climate change, covid cases on the rise, the housing crisis, the opioid crisis, the turmoil in Afghanistan, Cuba, Haiti, Yemen and so many other places... leave us feeling powerless and ready to curl up into a ball to wait things out.

But in real life that's not what God wants us to do, and Paul offers us an alternative. I'm going to paraphrase a bit here, but Paul encourages us to stand up, to wrap ourselves in truth, goodness, and peace, and to live in the faith that our Creator has our backs.

As Quinn talked about the crises that surround us, my eyes filled with tears, but I blinked them away and noticed my little bracelet that our other pastor, Jim, had us make for ourselves last week during the service he led. 

Jim invited Community of Emmanuel members to string beads on a piece of yarn to wear on our wrists to remind us of our blessings. There was no yarn left near me, so I helped others to tie on their bracelets, and grabbed a few beads to take home and make one later. 

If I'd had the time, I probably would have put together an entire string full of beads, but more isn't always better. In the past week, I've come to the realization that blessings in my life often come in threes, and the trinity of beads on my wrist has represented dozens of those trinities in my reflections: family, nature, and the Community of Emmanuel; my three kids; the trinity formed by my sisters and I; beauty, goodness and truth; Creator, Jesus and Spirit; sun, rain and wind for my garden; body, mind and soul... and so many more...

So yes, though there are crises all around, there are also blessings to be found -- if I only remember to look for them.

Thank you,
God,
for the many blessings in my life.

When I am overwhelmed by grief
or struggles that seem 
beyond my strength to survive,
remind me of the beauty,
goodness,
and truth
with which you surround me.

Bless all those living in true turmoil and poverty.

Help us to find ways to care for each other,
and to let go of our small worries
so that we can do your will
on much larger scales.

Fill me with your peace
and help me to move forward in love,
to share what I know of your presence
with others who struggle.

+Amen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

right on the present of spirit on real time. Deb