Friday, August 13, 2021

Praying at my compost pile

This morning I was busy sifting compost at the back of our garden when the cell phone in my pocket rang. PRIVATE NUMBER, the screen said. Usually I ignore numbers I don't recognize, but for some reason, at the last minute, instead of sticking the phone back in my pocket, I pulled off my dirty garden glove and hit the answer button.

"Is this the prayer line? My name is John, and I really need someone to pray with me right now."

I was very confused about where this call was coming from, but because of volunteering with the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul and Inner City Pastoral Ministry, and other experiences in my past, offering prayers for people in need comes pretty naturally to me, so I decided to go with the flow.

"Well, John, I'm not sure about which prayer line you were trying to reach, but I'm just standing at my compost pile sifting compost. I am also a believer, so I can pray with you if you like, if you don't mind that I'm covered in compost."

"Okay," John said, laughing. "You can keep sifting your compost, but I'm kinda struggling with a lot of things. How much time you got?"

"Plenty. What's on your heart right now that needs prayers?" I asked.

John told me how his wife recently left him, but didn't take her 80-something mother along with her, and how he's struggling to know what to do with the whole situation. So I listened, offered a prayer for hope, help and strength for him, and was suggesting that he check out some support services for seniors and their families when the call dropped somehow. I lifted my sweaty cheek from the phone and checked, but there was no number recorded, so I couldn't even call him back.

I have no idea where John found my number -- maybe it was a misdial? -- but as I finished my work, I found myself thinking about the last time I encountered a stranger while handling compost eight years ago. And I said a few extra prayers that John will find the support and help he needs, and a way through the pain and challenges he's facing.

God's got your back, John, wherever you may be.

No comments: