Saturday, August 7, 2021

A week in Jasper

Lee and I are celebrating 30 years of marriage this summer, and decided to mark the occasion by visiting Jasper, which was the first stop on our honeymoon so many years ago. It was a lovely week except for the ever-present wildfire smoke in Western Canada this summer. Our tent trailer filtered the air a little, but we did sleep and hike in our masks on occasion. 

We had intended to camp for ten days, but on the 8th day, the smoke got so thick that we could hardly tell that we were in the mountains. After breathing varying degrees of smoke for a week, we decided to head home early and give our lungs a break. 

Climate change is here, and we have no choice but to live with it, to accept the challenges it offers and the sacrifices it demands. In the middle of our week away, I participated in an Alberta Beyond Coal walk with our eldest, Christina, who is helping to spearhead the ABC campaign. 

We and a half dozen folks from Jasper strolled up and down Jasper's main drag with signs that say "Protect our Water," and on the whole, people were cheering us on. Nobody in Jasper wants to see rivers full of selenium or the strip mining of mountain beauty of the eastern slopes... but Hinton, a coal town just an hour away, is a different kettle of fish.

Since these moodlings are my way of recording some events in my life as well as sharing thoughts with readers, I post a few pictures and comments here that I can look back on to remember my 30th anniversary week. 

If you've never seen the Rocky Mountains, Jasper is a jewel of a place, worth a visit!


Pyramid Mountain and Lake in the smoke...


and on a clearer day...


Lee at Edith Cavell glacier...


Cavell Lake...


a happy couple...


hiking the long way around Old Fort Point with our kids...


A view of the mighty Athabasca...


my favourite tree...


Saskatchewan Glacier as seen from Parker Ridge on a smoky day...


Who is that masked mountain man?


Lake Edith...


my favourite trailer/home...


and heading for home...

I am grateful for a good week away.

1 comment:

debbie said...

Hello just Deb here been 30 years I was there was a lovely Wedding I wish you the best The kids are nice too.