Thursday, January 28, 2021

Mental health practices in a pandemic

What have you done for your mental health lately?

Bell Canada, one of our communications providers, is marking its eleventh annual "Let's Talk" day, focusing on mental health. They post a video (that I'll share below) and donate five cents toward these mental health initiatives each time it's viewed. They'll add another five cents when we use their "Let's Talk" promotional images on social media platforms (for example, a Facebook or Instagram photo frame).

Besides supporting Bell's efforts to assist mental health, I'm giving some thought to my own mental health, and I invite you to do the same. What are you doing to lift your own spirits in these strange days of pandemic? Here's my list, some of which I manage to do daily:

- physio exercises (to repair a sore shoulder) 

- a pot of tea (to keep myself hydrated) 

- morning meditation (trying to let go, let be, be inspired to make a difference)

- Tai chi (to keep my body in shape)

- a walk with Shadow-dog (to keep him from driving us all crazy)

- some cheerful tunes or an amazing symphony (with or without dancing)

- creativity (these moodlings, or maybe some other writing)

- a word puzzle or sudoku (to keep the neurons firing)

- one piece of fair trade chocolate (antioxidants!)

- a video or phone call with people I love (beyond my home)

- a bit of effort to encourage others in some way (my life is not just about me!)

In honour of "Let's Talk" day, I phoned three friends this morning, people who, like me, are hunkered down at home, and struggling with the strangeness of these days. I realize that not everyone is able to live as physically distanced as I do, or able to give much thought and effort toward their mental health on a regular basis. 

But maybe it helps to be aware that our bodies, minds and spirits are so connected that even if we can't invest a lot of time or energy into defined mental health practices, anytime we get up and move, eat something healthy, breathe deeply, hear inspiring music, appreciate beauty, see the face of someone we love, or stroke the fur of a beloved pet, that we are contributing to our overall wellness, which adds to mental health.

And if that's not enough and you are feeling lower than you've ever felt, please, please, talk to someone. Share your struggle. We all need help now and then, and we all need to talk things out with people we trust. I do that at least once a month for my sanity's sake, and daily with my partner. Whatever works for people is what I want to support.

Here's Michael Buble in that lovely little "Let's Talk" video I mentioned earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUY-rizctHA

 

And if that didn't cheer you, here he is again, this time singing a tune that never fails to get me up and dancing, with a big smile on my face... wanna dance with me? Appreciation to Bell Canada for its "Let's Talk" initiative. Be good to yourself and everyone else today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRIDS6UmYU


No comments: