Sunday, January 21, 2024

Sunday Reflection: A Prayer for Christian Unity

The Icon of Mercy
from the Taizé Community

A lawyer stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher”, he said, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 

He said to him, “What is written in the law? What do you read there?” 


He answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself.” 

And he said to him, “You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live”.  - Luke 10: 25-28


I think I'm doing okay
in the way I love you, Creator.

My heart and soul and strength
are all for you. 

I'm good --
until Jesus says I shall love my neighbour as myself.

How the heck is that supposed to work?

My neighbour and I disagree on so many things.

She dislikes me about as much as I dislike her, so we're even. 

Isn't being united in our dislike enough?

No, you say.

We need to be united in our compassion
for everyone, everything, and each other.

Loving God and loving people are the same thing
when it comes down to it.

Teach me how to really love. 

Unite us in your compassion --
in compassion for each other.

+Amen.

* * * * * * *

Ecumenical Prayer for the Week of Christian Unity
Sunday, January 21
St. Luke's Anglican Church
8424 95 Ave
7 pm
All are Welcome! Bring friends!

No comments: