Friday, January 26, 2024

Simple pleasures -- Friday, chai day

The first time I ever tasted chai, my friend Mina's mom, Mrudula, made it for me. Who knew how good black pepper, cardamom, ginger, and other spices could be when steeped with Taj Mahal tea and scalded milk? Some years later, Mrudula shared her masala recipe with me, and ever since, whenever I've wanted a more nourishing cup of tea than you can make with just a tea bag, I make MMMMM Chai... Mina's Mom Mrudula's Marvelous Masala Chai. 

A few years back, I did a bit of research into chai and discovered that it has a bit of rebellion in it. When England colonized India, the British decided that the top grade teas grown in the country would be labelled "English Breakfast Tea," and the lower grade, more bitter teas were left to the people of India, at prices that were unfair. 

But the people of India improved their own special ways of turning any tea into chai that rivalled that English Breakfast stuff by making rich, frothy, spicy, and flavourful blends with spices unheard of by the Brits, who pooh-poohed the culinary wizardry of chai wallahs. The colonizers clearly didn't know what they were missing! And their variety of tea has never been as popular on the whole as chai.

My daughter loves chai as much as I do, so we've decided that every Friday is chai day. Of late, she's been taking a course, so I have to pour her sweet and spicy chai into a travel mug to go with her, while I sip mine in peace while sitting in my prayer chair on Friday mornings.

If you're interested in a good chai masala recipe, I have one. All you have to do is ask -- Mrudula doesn't mind if I share it with friends.

No comments: