Thursday, May 11, 2023

Things I take for granted

There are too many things I take for granted. And for me, walking is a big one.

There are too many things I take for granted. And walking is a big one!

I'm realizing it because I'm not walking today. At work yesterday afternoon, I misstepped on a dark flight of stairs and heard a bone in my foot crack. Six hours later the emergency doctor confirmed that I fractured my fifth metatarsal bone, and that I need to stay off it for two weeks.

Today I'm thinking about yesterday's early morning walk with Button-dog, who has been staying with us for the past two weeks. I'm remembering my dash after the bus that I nearly missed. I'm recalling the dry city street smell -- that made me think of the Champs Elysees in Paris for some reason -- as I strolled through downtown to get to the Francis Winspear Centre for Music.

I'm recalling climbing the stairs to the Upper Circle of the concert hall, and standing around chatting with my usher colleagues about the school children coming for the concert. And I'm wishing I hadn't allowed myself to be distracted by a flash on my closed circuit radio as I returned to the darkened chamber, where I had only four patrons who were counting on my help for the planned fire drill at the end of the show (which went well, though I only ended up watching it from a wheelchair parked next to the building).

Today I am crutching rather than walking, asking my very good neighbour to please get the lily beetles off the martagon lily that I can see from where I sit with my foot on ice, and marveling once again how life changes in a split second.

As life changes go, this isn't a serious one. I have to keep my weight off my foot for two weeks, hobble around in an air boot for another four, and I should be fine after that. I might even get to work a shift or two yet before the Winspear closes for the summer. I'll be slow to plant the garden, the housework probably won't get done to my satisfaction for a bit, and Suzanna will have to help harden off the greenhouse plants and take Button on the morning walks I can't take for now.

But if I was totally dependent on an income that a broken foot would prevent me from earning, or if something worse had happened to me health-wise, I wouldn't even be sitting here moodling about how I usually take doing so many things for granted.

It seems that sometimes my life needs to be tripped up so that I can be truly grateful for all that is gifted to me by our loving Creator. Cracked metatarsals, though frustrating, can be a blessing in disguise, especially since I'm blessed to be able to take the time needed to recover.

Today I'm praying for all those who have no choice but to work through their health crises. God, bless them, heal them, and give them the support of people who help and care.

+Amen.

No comments: