Sunday, June 14, 2015

The miracle of music

I don't get to attend a symphony performance very often, but when I do, I'm guaranteed a God moment. I close my eyes and marvel at the wonder of music -- that composers can create such incredible scores, that human beings can fashion instruments capable of making such individual sounds that can blend into one big sound that brings tears to my eyes. Julian of Norwich liked to talk about God sitting in heaven, completely relaxed, wearing a smile like a marvellous symphony, and last night's concert really worked with that image for me.

I especially liked Kurt Weill's Lady in the Dark, which seemed like a necklace of interesting musical ideas. George Gershwin's Concerto in F was incredible, too, all those instruments blending into amazing and intricate melodies, just like God has created a world with all sorts of people and ideas that work together, sometimes well, and sometimes with considerable dissonance. I found myself thinking that, although we're all living an unfinished symphony in this life, eventually, we'll be part of the marvellous symphony that is God's smile.

I would love to share a video of some of the music I heard last night, but it can't be found on YouTube. I'll leave you instead with 13-year old Emily Bear's version of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, recorded with the Santa Fe Orchestra. How I love the melody that begins around the 13 minute mark. That anyone  -- let alone a thirteen-year-old -- can play the piano like she does amazes me!

No comments: