Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Simple Suggestion #46 of 100... Store memories, not souvenirs

It's vacation season... and who can resist a souvenir shop? We will be heading to Seattle, and I'm sure there will be stuff we've never seen in the little stores there. Fortunately, I have no ambition to load up on kitsch, as I see many lifetimes' worth as I unpack bags of donations at the Clothing Room of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. T-shirts from every destination under the sun (some never worn, retail tags intact), address books, wall plaques, postcards, pillows, tea towels, keychains, mugs, jewelery, windchimes... and on the list goes. Most of it isn't terribly useful to our homeless folks, and I certainly don't need any of it cluttering up my home.

As some wise person said, "Take nothing but memories, and leave nothing but footprints."

So for our vacation, I'm taking a camera and my journal. I've done that all my life, and still love to reread memories and look at pictures from years past. If I get any particularly good ones this year, I might share them with you, too. Watch this space.

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

1 comment:

Laeli said...

I'm just back from vacation and I surprised myself by buying very little.It felt good!