Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Take time to watch the flowers

Last night I finished reading Anne D. LeClaire's book, Listening Below the Noise: A Meditation on the Practice of Silence (2009, Harper, ISBN 978-0-06-135335-2). The author makes a wonderful case for how silence and stillness need to be incorporated into our noisy, busy lives so that we can nourish our souls. At the end of her book, LeClaire suggests simple ways to make room for silence and one of them really struck me: "Watch the primrose or morning glory open. Be in awe." (p. 218)

It's a bit too early to watch the morning glory or the primrose in Central Alberta... our snowbanks are still in evidence in shady places. Fortunately, my wonderful husband bought me an Easter bouquet this weekend, and a gorgeous yellow lily decided to be my morning glory today. If you don't have a flower to watch open, here's mine. Happy Easter! (At the church I attend, the Easter Season lasts 50 days, so don't mind me -- I'm going to repeat that Easter greeting a few more times and enjoy Easter to the full.)



No comments: