Monday, April 4, 2011

Springtime in the Rockies

This weekend, our family took a little break in the mountains. We were all really tired and in need of some down time, so we didn't even go skiing. We just got a room with a kitchenette and hung out together. We had lots of good chat time, one meal at a marvelous Greek restaurant, plenty of swimming at the hotel's indoor pool, some lovely strolls through town, a stop at a wonderful bakery, a visit to the Athabasca Icefalls


-- we've never seen a waterfall frozen before -- a log in the fireplace, some interesting TV movies and  books. It was a good, good weekend.

Saturday was cloudy and snowy, which was fine by us, because it fit with our lazy mood. The chilly wind bit our cheeks when we went out, and if I hadn't seen the cracks in the Athabasca River ice, it might have been November rather than April.


Sunday turned out to be a glorious spring sunshine day that had me singing all the mountain songs I could think of on our drive home. I couldn't help myself!


"How Great Thou Art" always comes to mind in the mountains. Especially the lines that go, "when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur, and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze." How can a soul not sing with vistas like this? Of course, I was looking up to lofty mountain grandeur when I took these shots, looking for the right angle while wearing just a light sweater. I'm happy to report that Spring is returning to the Rockies, brooks, gentle breezes and all.



1 comment:

catherooney said...

Welcome home. Lovely pics!