Thursday, December 16, 2010

Simple Christmas ideas... like bread

Today I am making Christmas presents for my children's teachers and busdriver. They get the same thing every year, and they like it... a loaf of homemade oatmeal bread. I'll post a picture when the loaves are done, so you can imagine how delicious they are. My family is slightly miffed that there won't be any left over for them, but I've promised them some next week.

Being a former teacher myself and having a teacher for a sister, I know well how often teachers get useless teacher gifts like plug-in-potpourri, candles, mugs, and Christmas ornaments, so I hesitate to load those on any thinking person. Knick knacks need dusting, only so many mugs fit into the cupboard, and too many cookies/chocolates aren't good for anyone. But who can refuse a loaf of homemade bread? (People with gluten allergies, I suppose, but so far I haven't run into that. I suppose they could always give it as gift to someone who can eat it.) Personally, I love the idea of a gift that is edible and delicious, not overly caloric, good for you, and made with love. I've received several thank you notes for my Christmas bread -- not that that's the reason I do it.

The whole idea of giving gifts to people we barely know is an odd thing. I don't have time to get into the whole history of gift-giving while my dough is rising, but I will say that it's only in the past hundred years (in Canada) that the pressure to buy, Buy, BUY has been created. It used to be that Christmas was about eating, drinking, and being merry within community while celebrating One who welcomes everyone to His banquet. We've lost that somehow, but it's time we abandon the shopping malls and find it again.

I'm finding it by baking bread. A simple, loving gesture that my kids can share with the teachers who feed their hunger to learn. Merry Christmas, teachers!



No comments: