Monday, December 3, 2012

Simple Christmas idea #3 -- Have a cookie of a day

A little Christmas community...

For the last several years, my mom, my sisters, my daughters and I have gotten together to do our Christmas baking. Cookie Day has become a much anticipated event. For a while there, it looked like Suzanna might have to miss out on it this year because of the school musical, but both she and her younger sister made clear to Mr. band teacher the incredible importance of Cookie Day, and he gave her a break from Saturday's rehearsal.

Christmas baking can be a wonderful community builder, and our world could use a deeper sense of community in so many ways. I know that Sherwood Park United Church is a stronger community because of their Cookie Walk, which was also held on Saturday. In 2011, the church members made over 2000 dozen cookies for sale! Not only did all that baking and working together bring church members together, but it also benefitted the larger community as all the proceeds went to local charities. Brilliant, if you ask me!

As a solitary activity, baking is not my favourite. But inviting a few friends to join in makes it a lot more fun. Baking gives people a common ground activity where they can get to know each other... and share the fruits of their labour when ready. The beauty of it all is that it usually just needs one person to ask the question, "Shall we have a cookie exchange this year?" and a few folks willing to bring favourite recipes to get the ball rolling.


This is mine -- cherry bells!

Are you participating in a cookie exchange this year?

2 comments:

Laeli said...

I think I'm going to start a new tradition, every day in Dec I'm going to eat a different kind of cookie:)

I keep thinking about a cookie exchange but then never take steps toward it, silly me. One day..

Maria K. said...

Does that mean you're baking? Or hanging out with people who do? Or you know a really good bakery? Sounds like a yummy idea!