Monday, December 10, 2012

Simple Christmas idea #10 -- Give food gifts

Presents that nourish...

This idea is one I would like to see more of. Edible gifts are rarely wasted. And these days, as I'm working more, coming home later, and feeling uninspired about what to make for supper, I can't help but think how nice it would be if someone would just hand me a basket filled with all the ingredients for a meal. Noodles, a jar of some sort of sauce, a can of vegetables, and maybe a package of something sweet (non-perishable, of course) would really come in handy for times when I'm dithering about what to do. It also might inspire my kids to do a little cooking if I could just direct them to that basket.

The thing is, I'm fortunate enough to have a fairly well-stocked pantry, so I can usually scrounge up some sort of meal. But there are so many working poor these days who can't. So if you're reading this suggestion and thinking that a meal basket is not something you'd appreciate receiving, consider our brothers and sisters who can't make ends meet by making your own food gift or two to your local food bank...

No comments: