Monday, April 15, 2024

Monday Music Appreciation #28 -- That organ!

The Davis Concert Organ at the Winspear Centre for Music where I work is an amazing masterpiece in itself. But when you get someone who can play the thing, it's absolutely incredible.

I didn't get to post about our most recent organ concert for Monday Music Appreciation last week due to another trip to visit my father-in-law, but hold onto your hats. The piece in the video below was performed at the Winspear last week by Jean-Willy Kunz, with Kerem Hassan conducting the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. I sat in my usher's chair shaking my head with amazement through the whole thing, but I've only given you the last three minutes or so to listen to here. The final notes had me on my feet.

If you want more, Youtube has Guilmant's entire 20+ minute long Symphonie No. 1 in D minor for Organ and Orchestra, posted by conductor Jason Tramm, organ by Gordon Turk with the midAtlantic Orchestra (a 2018video made in Ocean Grove NJ) if you click here.

Imagine the floor vibrating under your feet and enjoy!

No comments: