Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Monday Music Appreciation # 22 -- Joni

It happened again, and this time I'm not sure why this Monday moodling didn't go through. I was quite sure I'd hit the publish button. No matter -- here it is, on a Tuesday instead. -- M.K.

She's an amazing woman, really, this Joni Mitchell. A girl born in Fort Macleod AB, who grew up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and who has an impressive musical life in folk, pop and jazz worlds. On Friday night, patrons at the Winspear were treated to an evening of her music played by the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra and sung by Sarah Slean, who gave an amazing performance. And I discovered that I know every word of Both Sides Now. How or why that is the case, I'm not sure. I do know that our family sing song book has the lyrics in it.

Last night, Joni received another Grammy Award for the recording of this performance (her first after recovering from a brain aneurysm) with another of my favourites, Brandi Carlile. Enjoy!

No comments: