Sunday, April 21, 2024

Sunday Reflection: See what love!

Today's reflection is brought to you by
1 John 3: 1-2.

Sometimes,
I open my eyes
and see what love
you, 
Creator,
have given to me.

Truly, 
I am swimming in it --
the air I breathe,
the light from sun and moon,
the fact that I exist at all.

As your beloved child,
I sense that you are with me
in every tiny flower
and budding leaf, 
in every splash of rain
and whisper of a breeze,
in every smile and nod
from strangers and friends.

And sometimes,
the world's hurts and struggles,
disappointments and unkindnesses
can weigh me down
so that I lose sight of you.

In labouring to become 
what you want for your creation --
in business and busy-ness
it's easy to miss 
small signs and wonders 
that are 
your presence.

Until... I clear away 
last year's autumn leaves,
and there you are --
in the purple and yellow face
of a single blooming viola.

Until... a young woman
(who is your presence too) 
asks for clean clothes this morning,
and there you are --
in a single pair of jeans
that is her size.

Until... the sage smoke
of today's smudge
embraces my garden-achy bones
and there you are --
your blessing surrounding me.

Until... the woman 
at a rummage sale
smiles and gives me 
one old flowerpot for free,
and there you are --
I smile back 
at you.

We are all your children
and you give your all to us.

Remind us often
that we see you 
as you are
everywhere we look
because nothing exists
without you holding it 
and us
together.

May we see your love!

+Amen.


No comments: