Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Our new friend

Meet Rocky. As in the Rocky Mountains, taking his name from their often white-capped peaks and summer blue lakes.

Budgies have had homes in my life for all but fifteen (or so) of my human years. I debated whether another one would be a good idea for quite some time, as they can live long lives, and love attention that I might not always be able to give.

But with the anniversary of Shadow dog's death early next month, and so much of concern happening in my world, I decided to welcome some liveliness into our home, especially since, due to many different factors, now is not the time to find another pup.

Today marks one month since Rocky joined our household, and he's slowly getting used to us noisy humans thumping around the kitchen/dining area and trying to teach him to talk. Because his wings were clipped to facilitate training, he ends up on the floor when he tries to fly, and often runs for cover under couch or coffee table. I expect that will change when his wing feathers grow back in and his confidence returns.

For now, the highlights of Rocky's day include a trip to the kitchen window to watch the sparrows at the bird feeder, short conversations (him just listening) while sitting on my finger or shoulder, and the odd millet treat. He also loves the sound of running water when we wash dishes, and certain pieces of music sometimes get him going.

There are many "budgie updates" (click here for one of my favourites) already among my moodlings from feathered friends in the past, which make me laugh as I remember those little birds. This is my way of giving readers fair warning that there may be a few more budgie updates, as I suspect Rocky's current sedateness will change over time, and he'll become a happy and clownish companion who brings us much joy.

Just as the others did!

No comments: