Thursday, August 31, 2023

Early September garden report 2023

Pear tree produce!
What a summer it has been. Edmonton has felt like its own little oasis. We have been really, really fortunate to have good rain for our gardens when many places around us have not. Climate change is impacting everyone on the planet in one way or another, and for us, it has meant some days where you don't want to step outside because the air quality is running off the scale in terms of unbreathable -- due to wildfires, of course. 

Just this week, someone from Texas borrowed A Prayer for Rain yet again. I guess In the northern part of the state they're having wildfires too, but we probably haven't heard about it because we're pretty focused on those closer to home, the many climate refugees who have come to us from Yellowknife, and the latest hurricane season. My heart goes out to everyone affected by climate issues, and to all who are feeling climate grief, as I am.

But what has been happening in our yard is a beautiful distraction from the challenges our planet is facing elsewhere, and I am counting my blessings! Here is my garden report for late August/early September:

 

The garden has outdone itself, and our pear tree even managed to produce some fruit. Last year's hard pruning helped, though there is still evidence of fire blight on a few branches that we will take out this weekend.

The garden reminds me that everything is gift, and that we have to appreciate what we have while we have it. So I'm not taking this wonderful produce for granted. I suspect I'll have to give a lot away, but that's a blessing, too, to be able to share with others!

If you're in my neck of the woods and would like some tomatoes or pears, just say the word!

No comments: