Wednesday, July 12, 2023

The fourth sister...

Yesterday when I went out to water our tomato plants, I realized that the sparrows were eating the tops of the corn plants. Until I figured out what was happening last year, the tops were mostly gone, and I wasn't very happy with the birds. The cobs of corn ended up pretty stunted, too, though they tasted delicious!

So I got creative with some old clothes, a paper bag, and a too small hat and made a fourth sister to stand among the other three sisters that brilliant Indigenous peoples knew all about planting together: corn, beans, and squash. (If you've followed these moodlings you might recall that I've moodled about them before.) I'm curious to see how long it will take for a bird to sit on top of the lady's hat.

Hopefully madame scarecrow will keep this year's planting as the nicest one yet. I did things right this year -- the corn sister got enough of a head start over the squash and bean sisters for all of them to grow well together. Last night we had cheese stuffed fried squash blossoms for supper, yum. And we're looking forward to some good feeds provided by all three sisters, God and weather willing.

One minor problem: I'm not sure what name to give the extra sister in the three sisters' patch. My cousin made me laugh with her scarecrow's name, which echoes a line from Copa Cabana, a Barry Manilow dance tune we liked when we were kids -- "Her name is Lola, she is a scarecrow" ("was a showgirl" is the actual lyric...). 

I'm not that clever... so let's have a Name the Scarecrow Contest. Send me your suggestions, I'll pull one out of a hat, and the winner will receive... I dunno -- a dinner invitation to a harvest supper? A shipment of fresh garden produce in the fall? Some sort of small surprise. Anyway, I'd love to hear from any of my readers who have ideas. You can leave a comment below, or send a quick email to simplemoodler@ gmail.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE THIS....

did a little google searing and found out this about the '3 sisters':
(The ancient aboriginal legend tells the tale of three sisters – 'Meehni', 'Wimlah' and Gunnedoo'.)

so for your '4th sister' how about naming them TIDDA???
(Tidda: Means sister and can also be used when referring to female friends.)

I had to chuckle, just like my family of 4 sisters -- the last one gets hand-me-down clothes and too small hat....ha ha ha
the life of a forth sibling, am I right??!!

whatever you call them; hope they can keep those pesky crows out of the patch.

happy gardening friend
supersu




Maria K. said...

Thanks, Su! Yes, the hand-me-down children... more simplicity sisters! I'll post the name of my garden friend next week!