Monday, July 24, 2023

Monday Music Appreciation #13 -- Stay Gentle

I really love the music of Brandi Carlile, and I think she's an incredibly cool musician and person besides. If you've never heard her song The Joke, click here and watch the video... it's deeply moving for anyone who has ever felt alone or ostracized, and who among us has never felt that way? 

What I appreciate most about Brandi is that she is unapologetically herself, and she sings right from the bottom of her toes, and from her heart, too. Her voice has a bit of a rough edge that gives her songs more strength or subtlety, as needed, or so it seems to me.

I've been meaning to musically appreciate Brandi (and this album in particular) for a while. So this morning when I found a cheeky little article from Sojourners' Magazine about God's Summer Playlist, the time had come.

According to the article, Brandi's song, Stay Gentle, is on God's list of top twelve tunes for this summer (I guess God works in twelves -- you know, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve minor prophets, twelve apostles, etc.). Have a listen, and see if you might like to add Stay Gentle to your own playlist. Its message is something we all need to be reminded of now and then. 

Enjoy!

No comments: