Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Let it snow?

My moodling for the past few weeks has mostly been in my head as I've been busy with the last of the garden produce and cleaning up before winter. 

The greenhouse is ready for spring, more or less...

(The last of the basil will be used in a tomato salad
for Lee's birthday supper tonight)...

Suzanna turned our big pumpkin into a wonderful
jack o'lantern...
He was baked yesterday for future soups
and Shadow's favourite --
peanut butter-pumpkin puppy treats...

The garden beds are empty
(Lee dug the carrots last weekend)...
and his brother, Louis, who is visiting,
helped me to dig and cover the last beds yesterday.
We finished at 4, and it started snowing at about 5!
And this is what I see today...

I'm grateful that the snow held off until the garden got put to bed... but I'm very concerned about all the homeless folks still living in tents in our city. Quinn and I were downtown yesterday, passing out the usual granola bars and toiletries, and the first of winterwear donations. Shelter spaces for outside folks were supposed to be ready for November 1st, but we've heard nothing yet about where our downtown friends are supposed to go.

My garden is happy under this snow, but people aren't. I've written my city councilors, but they're running out of funds. It's the province and feds who need to cough up some more support now, so Danielle, Justin, and friends will be hearing from me too... 

In the meantime, if anyone has cash donations for socks, gloves or long underwear (or some of these most-requested items) to pass along, I can get them to people who need it!

No comments: