Friday, November 18, 2022

Angel seeks a home

When my mother-in-law was dying, she told me that she wanted me to have the angel that sat near her bedside. Knowing Angel meant something to her, I was touched. 

Angel is actually a large Christmas tree ornament with fiber-optic filaments that light up her wings in different, rotating colours. Every evening, Mom would ask someone to light "Angel", admire her multi-coloured splendor, and say her prayers. Knowing how much she appreciated Angel, I agreed to give her a home when Mom was gone.

But... Angel has lived in various corners of my home for the almost two years since Mom died, and I'm afraid she's not being appreciated here very often. I guess I'm just not a very sentimental soul when it comes to other peoples' keepsakes. Angel is much too big to sit atop the little Christmas trees that we decorate each year, and it's rare that I light her up for sheer appreciation's sake. 

So I offered Grandma's Angel to her grandchildren, but it seems no one is interested. And with our daughter moving home last weekend, the space where Angel used to sit (and gather dust) has vanished. So it's time to give Angel to someone who will truly appreciate her, perhaps as my mother-in-law did.

If you know anyone like that, or have other ideas of where Angel might be appreciated properly, please let me know!

No comments: