Friday, March 18, 2022

Rico's headstand

A couple of Sundays back, Rico came to pick up a bag lunch at Inner City Pastoral Ministry -- just in time, too, as we were giving away the last few. Rico is a kibbitzer -- he likes to chat and laugh and tease until he gets a smile. I hadn't seen him for a while, and I always enjoy his visits.

After the last lunch and cup of coffee were taken from the serving table and I started folding it up, Rico jumped to help me. "Allow me, Madame," he said, and hefted the table to carry it into the building. "Follow me; I want to show you something."

I was a bit surprised, but as he was already through the door, what could I do? He set the table down against the counter, removed his coat and spread it on the floor, and proceeded to do a perfectly controlled yoga headstand.

"Rico is 65 years old," he told me after he slowly lowered himself to the ground again. "Pretty good for a senior citizen, agreed?" 

I told him I was sorry I hadn't taken a picture of his perfect yoga pose, and asked if he could do it again. So he tried, but wasn't able to straighten his legs the second time. He held this pose until I snapped a few pictures, saying "I always have better strength the first time."

Pretty good for a senior citizen indeed! I figure that Rico's efforts deserve a bit of recognition, so I'm sharing them here, and looking forward to his next visit. You never know when he'll appear to chat and laugh and tease until he gets a smile.

No comments: