Sunday, June 16, 2013

A tiny little musician on Father's Day

This weekend, I had another opportunity to attend a concert given by some very talented young Edmontonians who will be going to this year's Canadian Music Competition (if you want to read my raves from last year, click here). My sister wonders why she teaches music to the young lady in the video below -- this was A.'s performance at last year's competition, when she played Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 17K 453, the first movement. Last night I sat there shaking my head with amazement, or sat with my eyes closed, listening to 9-year-old A.'s fingers dance over the keys as she played Haydn's concerto Hob 18. 11 in D Major 1st Movement.


A. has such adult poise and grace at the keyboards, and has also taken up violin. But watching her childlike excitement at intermission last night (once her piece had been played), I suspect she enjoys the simplicity of school music classes, too, having the opportunity to just be a kid like other kids, and making music with her friends, instead of all alone in music practice.

Happy Father's Day to all dads who make music lessons possible. I'm thinking especially of my own dad, whose love of singing and music meant that though I never really liked piano lessons, I grew up singing in different choirs and music groups... and now I have one of my own to enjoy, of which he is part. My dad still has the best voice of all. Time for a singsong, Dad? I remember how we used to always sing, Love is a beautiful song, la la, la la la, la la... and of course, I still love you!

No comments: