Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I share chocolate with you

At my desk in our big classroom office at L'Arche yesterday, I looked up to see Thomas enter the room, clutching something to his chest like he didn't want anyone to see it. In his hands was a small box of chocolate almonds, the kind packaged for fundraisers, and Thomas was clearly waiting for me to notice.

"Hi, Thomas," I said. "What are you eating?"

"Chocolate. I'm not sharing," he announced.

"Oh, Thomas," I replied, "I thought we were friends. Don't I share my cookies with you sometimes?"

No reply. Thomas was ignoring me, busy eating his almonds. When he looked at me again, I said, "Don't friends share? I just want one."

He poured a few more into his mouth, and I couldn't help but grin. He was enjoying this.

"I love chocolate," I said, "especially from my friends."

No reply.

"I really love chocolate, and it's really nice when people share."

He went to the windows and looked out as though he was thinking really hard. Then he looked at me, poured one almond out of his box, and gave it to me. I thanked him, saying, "Now I know that we're really friends, Thomas, because you shared with me too."

"I share chocolate with you," Thomas said, a huge chocolate-toothed smile on his face.

"Thank you," I said, "it's delicious." As he headed for the door I said loudly, "I love chocolate, and I love Thomas."

He kept going like he didn't hear me, but he returned several times that morning, wearing a big grin, saying, "I share chocolate with you."

"Yes, you're my friend," I replied, thinking, I know, Thomas. I love you too.

No comments: