Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Simple Suggestion #96... Take a nap



Irritability.
Cognitive lapses.
Memory lapse or loss.
Decreased reaction time.
Yawning episodes.

Sound familiar? If so, sleep deficit might be an issue, and even if not, well, "unapologetic napping" (a phrase I like from author Terry Hershey) is good for body and soul. Places that incorporate a siesta time in their day seem to be healthier than our driven North American way.

It doesn't have to be a long nap. Sometimes just laying down as long as it takes to drift off is enough. When I allow myself the pleasure of a nap, I usually set my clock for fifteen minutes or so, and wake up refreshed and ready to go, without spoiling my night time sleep. I'm suffering with benign (read: pain in the neck) vertigo these days, so I'm napping a bit more than usual.

If you can't take a nap today, save it for your next day off. If you can, happy napping!

(Image borrowed from The Napping House, a wonderful children's book by Audrey Wood. Highly recommended, if you haven't seen it yet.)

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.