Monday, May 16, 2011

#5 of 100 Simple Suggestions... Walk instead of driving

I think I've more than covered this idea in a few past moodlings... but I'll repeat myself a little for the sake of #5:

When I walk, my cheeks go pink, my hair gets wind-mussed, and I feel damp until light perspiration evaporates. I also take unbusy streets, avoiding the local five-legged spider of a traffic circle where cars crawl and blood pressure rises. At the moment, that circle is even slower than usual because of our fifth, most-detested and longest season... that of Construction.

When I walk, I enjoy the gifts of the seasons: light in the sky, birdsong, the smell of tree blossoms, the sight of flowering yards, the sound of fall leaves, or the feel of snowflakes against my cheeks. I appreciate the colours of growing things, or imagine the secret sleeping mounds of plants hidden under the snow.

When I walk, my lungs fill with fresh air and my heart thumps rhythmically and my doctor has no reason to insist upon cholesterol medication before my time. I feel strong, vital and less stressed than when I'm cooped in a car, breathing fumes. When I walk, I think deeply, or I sing to myself, or I pray, which are all much better uses of time than keeping my eyes on the road or waiting at red lights.

When I walk, the world stays cleaner, the climate cooler, and my heart happier because I know I am doing as little harm as possible to Earth, our beautiful home.

In the above paragraphs, I count almost 30 good reasons to leave my car at home. How about you?

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? See here.

No comments: