Monday, April 3, 2023

Monday Music Appreciation #7 -- for Holy Week

I wish I could post the slightly funky, bluesy Palm Sunday song that Farley sang yesterday for the Community of Emmanuel, but I can't find it online because I can't quite remember the words, and he couldn't remember where he learned it either. It was a sweet recounting of the story of Palm Sunday and the week following, and how everyone there was wondering who this Jesus was -- a madman, or the one they'd been waiting for. If you recall a song like that, please let me know!

Instead, I'll leave you something a bit more sublime for this Holy Week, Lift Thine Eyes from Mendelssohn's Elijah, a grand retelling of the biblical story of the prophet, which I heard for the first time on Friday night, sung by the Richard Eaton Singers, accompanied by the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. The women of RES gave me goosebumps -- they started so softly, and built into something really beautiful.

The version below is a "covid version" that brought together women from different eras of the Seattle Girls Choir. Enjoy!

No comments: