Tuesday, February 8, 2022

When freedom is misused

My heart is broken for what is happening in our country right now.

The very idea of freedom is being misused.

Freedom is a gift, not an entitlement.

Freedom does not mean being able to do whatever I want.

Freedom comes with responsibility to care for the most vulnerable in our midst.

I know too many people who have died of Covid-19.

I would argue that lives, not money, are what need to be defended right now.

The lives of our seniors, little ones, burnt out and exhausted heathcare workers, our vulnerable communities throughout the country, and all who are unable to be vaccinated.

People who are unable -- not unwilling -- to be vaccinated.

Yes, people are free to complain when they don't like things. 

But demanding their way when it endangers other people is just plain self-absorbed, selfish, sinful.

As a society it seems we've gotten used to having our own way -- and forgotten, or chosen to ignore the concept of sacrifice for the common good.

Which value is higher? Living without a mask? Or living, period?

Personal freedom? Or love for one another?

I don't know about you, but I know that love is the bottom line.

And love extends even to those we disagree with.

It's just really hard to love someone when you can't talk with them because the horns are too loud.

And even if we could talk, would anything change?

Are we at a stalemate?

Or would you like to tell me how you're feeling about your freedom at this moment?

My heart is broken for what is happening in my country right now.

So I think I'll listen to my wise friend, Farley, once again -- and pray for love to turn all us hard cases into soft hearts... so we can find common ground once more.

No comments: