Thursday, September 30, 2021

What have you been doing on National Truth and Reconciliation Day?

I've been wearing an orange shirt and reading, reading, reading. And listening to radio programming featuring the work of Indigenous musicians and authors. And spreading the word on social media about Indigenous Canada, an excellent course I took through the U of A back in the spring, which has been helpful in my understanding of many issues facing my inner city faith community's members. And arranging Sunday lunches for the homeless ones who will visit us there in the month of October. 

If you feel like reading, reading, reading, here's the link from Raven Trust, an organization that I support because they are land and people defenders. Their website absorbed a good portion of my day.

https://raventrust.com/reconciliation-is-a-verb/ 

I particularly liked what Ryan McMahon has to say, short and straight to the point:

Calling yourself a treaty person, doing a land acknowledgment: that is not reconciliation. Pick one action you know you can stick with in your life, and find people to bring along on your journey. If you have a strong heart, come to the front of the line. If you don't, get in line, and we'll get there. Show up. Be on the ground. Give your energy. Every single choice you make is reconciliation: there is no handbook.

I also appreciated this Maclean's Magazine article about Finding David Lightning, sent to me by my eldest. In my days as a teacher in Ponoka, I taught a youngster who was probably related to the Ermineskin Lightning family, possibly a great grand-nephew to David Lightning.

What are you doing on National Truth and Reconciliation Day? What have you learned that you didn't know before? What are you planning to learn and do in the weeks and months to come? I'd really love to know... please leave me a comment if you like...

2 comments:

Linda said...

Maria, I spent yesterday doing much of what you did: I wore my orange shirt, I listened to aboriginal music on CBC and watched the various programs that they had streaming all day. I, too, had taken advantage of the U of A Indigenous Education course over the summer. I read Tanya Talaga's book "Seven Fallen Feathers" over the summer and discovered the CBC documentary based on the book on TV last week so had watched that as well. I am sorry that I can't remember the name of the program. Shortly after the discovery of the unmarked graves in Kamloops I also discovered a series on the aboriginal station called "Future History" and it is excellent. Google it and all the episodes from the two seasons are available to watch - each about 20 minutes in length. I totally agree that reconciliation is a verb and was very saddened to hear that our Prime Minister spent yesterday in Tofino rather than attending any of the events in recognition of the day that his government initiated. Walk the talk sir.

Maria K. said...

Thanks, Linda! Great suggestions! And yes, he needs to walk the talk instead of taking a vacation...