Monday, June 6, 2011

#18/100 Simple Suggestions... Join a car pool

Here's one suggestion with which I have no personal experience. Having been a stay-home mom for the last seventeen years, and being mostly a walker, transit taker or bike rider when it comes to going to my part-time job, car pooling is not something I have done. But I have friends who have done it, and speak very highly of it, and if you think about it, it only makes sense.

As I walk to work, I often find myself counting the number of SOVs (single occupant vehicles) that pass me. True, it's more convenient to come and go as we will, but it's hardly efficient, and convenience hasn't done our atmosphere any favours in recorded history that I can think of (but if you can think of one, please let me know -- you'll make my day!) Empty Seat Syndrome, or ESS, MUST become a thing of the past if we want to slow global climate change and save our planet. Fortunately, there are a lot of smart people out there who are finding ways to bring people together and end ESS. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out www.carpool.ca. If you're not from Canada, I'll still bet there's something similar in the works where you live. And even if you don't live in or near a city where these kinds of options exist, why not catch rides with or offer rides to others who might be heading the same directions as you are?

Hey, wait a minute! I do carpool! My mom and I travel together to the Clothing Room one day a week. That means we save the gas and fossil fuel emission of one vehicle, two trips a week. See, if I can do it, anyone can...

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

No comments: